Thursday, March 12, 2009

Red High Heels and a Turkey Sandwich

Two highlights of my day. But please don't think I live an unfulfilled life. Nay, I have searched for a suitable pair of dark red stilettos since the summer of 2006. Now this quest may appear to be trivial to you, however I saw them on a girl I cared more than less about, but I had to concede that they looked completely fabulous with EVERyTHING.
Fast forward to December 2008. Shopping with some friends at lunch, and come across Bandolino where they were having a tremendous sales. There they were. In the back. For $31.00. Not kidding. $110.00 shoes for $31.00. A gorgeous deep red color (not garnet, not fire-engine, kind of like a brick?) with a very subtle red crocodile skin liner around the back with a small brass buckle. Hard to explain, but whatever. I instantly loved these shoes, and wore them quite sparingly in an effort not to wear them down, as I insist on wearing heels from home to work and back again. None of this running shoe with slacks and a jacket look. Christ that's infuriating.
Fast forward again to, like, February. Noticed the right heel started to wobble a little. Not a major catastrophe, but noticeable and I had to be cautious when I walked. A friend said her heel had been doing that for two years, and she was just fine, so what the hell.
Beginning of March, I come home and am in the kitchen. My husband wasn't home quite yet, but Seamus was because, well, he's a dog. I had barely taken my coat off when my love comes through the garage door. I go to give him a greeting and Seamus was so overwhelmed, he got underneathe my legs (110lb yellow lab vs. 135lbs blonde = pile o' flesh). I stumbled backwards and felt the right heel bend in finality. I couldn't take another step. Frustrated and saddened, I figured I would take it to the shoe repair business around the block from my office (exceptional I might add...terrifying to walk into and cash only, but they do great work). A day turned into a week, a week turned into two, and I hadn't found the time or had the available cash (not that I don't have money, it's the whole "cash in hand deal" - very much so a debit card chick). Finally, on Monday I say "this is the day!!! I am getting my heel fixed!!" Unfortunately, on Monday, I was recovering from a rather rambunctious weekend which involved the Philadelphia Beer Festival and friends that are entirely too easy to drink with. Decided upon lunch as well, and had forgotten my debit card altogether (I told you I was a mess on Monday) so I couldn't even pop into Rite Aid for a 20. Tuesday rolls around, am running late for my staff meeting and yet AGAIN I forget my debit card. Wednesday, it is rainy and disgusting and quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered. This morning I woke up and knew I would be wearing my slim leg khaki slacks with a light green cardigan. The best complement to that outfit is MY EFFING RED HEELS which had now been sitting in my office for four days. I throw on another pair of slingbacks and head into the city. Go up to my office, throw my bag down, grab my shoes and off I went. I needed to get back to the office because it has been unbelievably busy, but I needed these shoes to be fixed (I have had to force myself to not say "better" as it is not normal to humanize shoes). I stop at the ATM (Bank of America - NOT MY BANK - but hey, I'll pay $1.50 for convenience ONLY it turned out to be $3.00 fucking dollars for a surcharge. Ridiculous and I will continue to talk shit about the Bank of America from this day forward). I go to the shoe repair place, and the little Asian man that works there looks at is and goes..."Oooh...$18.00?" FINE. I look at another employee and plead "I love these shoes, please fix them." The Asian guy looks at me and says "Late today?" NO. NOT LATE TODAY. I beg him for 12:30 p.m. and he agrees.
At 12:45 p.m., I can finally get away from work - I run out - get my shoes - they take them out of the brown paper bag they were in (told you this wasn't exactly high class for Center City, but hey...) and they are PERFECT.
I skip to a local deli, get a turkey sandwich, and more happy today than I was yesterday after getting a 25k place.

Also, we went to a fabulous sushi restaurant last night (little BYO by our house - four rolls, six pieces of shashimi, soup, gyoza = $50.00) - DONE!

No comments: